Today, more than I have been in a while, I am mindful of how frail and fleeting our mortal bodies are. As I watch a close friend's wrestling with her mother-in-laws death, I my spirit churns within me. I recall times where I have been felt so frail in my struggles, and where my hopelessness has enticed me to be Jesus, rather than Jesus Himself. I also recall other moments where,on the complete other side of the spectrum, such joy has enticed me to be with Jesus. When thinking on these things I identify the words of Paul when he wanted so desparately to be with Jesus in order to escape the weariness of this sinful world that was not his home, but he reminded himself that actually being where Jesus wanted him to be (on earth in this world that is not his home) had him closer to Jesus than he thought.
So, how, in noting the frailness and imperfection of my earthly body, can I put my longings for Jesus in their appropriate place? How can I encourage this friend who is watching her mother-in-law be lifted up in both the joy found in going to be Jesus, and the sadness that comes with realizing how fleeting our lives are?
Though we are frail, we are victorious because we are IN CHRIST and there because of Him, there "death has lost it's sting."
Lord, how I can live my life longing for Jesus today? How I can be homesick for Heaven yet not neglect the ministy you're leading me in here? How can I love others with the joy of Heaven in my heart? Particularily those who have hurt me?
No comments:
Post a Comment